FiveThirtyEight is looking for a diligent, well-organized and personable employee Research assistant to help locate and enter polls and other election data, as well as help research stories and political projects.
This part-time position plays a vital role in supporting FiveThirtyEight’s political coverage and interactive projects such as our Presidential Endorsement Tracker and polls. You will help maintain the databases that keep FiveThirtyEight running, especially our one-of-a-kind survey database. And, what’s most exciting, you’ll be part of the team that feeds real-time data to FiveThirtyEight’s 2022 Medium-Range Forecast model.
This position is ideal for someone looking to break into the world of political data. You will work closely with our Senior Research Assistant and collaborate with our Political Journalists, Editorial Office and Visual Journalists.
This is a US based position. Remote work will be considered, or you can work from our New York office once it reopens. The exact schedule is flexible (we’ll work with you to define it), but the hours are capped at 29 hours per week. We hope that you will remain in office at least until the mid-term of 2022, if not longer.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Senior Research Assistant Mary Radcliffe at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the number of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every applicant.
- Monitor polling news, collect and enter new polls into our polling database, and upload data to our poll trackers and templates.
- Contribute to original research for specific stories and projects.
- Develop expertise in US survey operators – their methodologies, quirks and quality.
- Respond to inquiries from pollsters and the general public regarding our projects and datasets.
- Experience with spreadsheets and data collection.
- Strong attention to detail and a willingness to perform repetitive tasks (e.g. data entry) in the service of large projects.
- Ease of using online tools, such as search engines and public databases, to find specific information.
- Comfortable with calling, emailing and finding sources to get them to send and answer questions about their data.
- Availability and willingness to work irregular hours. (Polls often come late at night or on weekends.)
(But the absence of one or more of them should do not prevent you from applying!)
- A solid understanding of American politics, particularly electoral politics.
- Experience working as an academic research assistant or in a newsroom.
- A solid understanding of how polls work and the fundamental statistical concepts needed to interpret them.
- Knowledge of relational databases.
ABC News and FiveThirtyEight are equal opportunity employers. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status protected.