STEPS TO APPLY: New applicants should first apply at ++www.publicsafetytesting.com++. Applicants who have completed the public safety testing requirements, including Applicant Profile, Personal History Statement and Physical Fitness Test, please click the “Apply” button to submit an application to the City of Redmond.
The city of Redmond is a thriving and culturally diverse community and is home to over 72,000 residents. Redmond is the hub of an array of businesses and industries ranging from technology, aerospace and gaming to biomedical and innovative start-ups. The City of Redmond seeks to maintain a strong police-community relationship that builds trust, advances community policing and increases public safety.
Police candidates will appreciate our professional and healthy work environment, dedicated training and equipment resources, and career opportunities. Our patrol division offers a good balance between service calls and case follow-up, making it a complete agent. For more details on why you should join the City of Redmond, visit the Join Redmond Police Department (RPD) website: ++https://www.redmond.gov/1401/Join-Redmond-police-Department++
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Here are some of the responsibilities of the position. Please see the full description of the ++Police Officer++ classification for more information on knowledge, skills, abilities, working conditions, physical demands, automatic and discretionary disqualifications. Provide quality customer service to the community and internal service members, as well as provide emergency assistance, safety and protection to the citizens of Redmond
- Patrol commercial and residential areas
- Respond to requests for information and assistance
- Investigate criminal activity
- Engage in long-term solution-focused activities that improve resident safety and well-being
- Ensure the proper application of laws and regulations.
- Provides day-to-day formal and informal leadership and creates a positive work environment for members of the organization.
Junior Police Officer Requirements:
- Pass the written exam and physical fitness test administered by Public Safety Testing (PST).
- Initial screening based on PST test results and Physical History Statement (PHS).
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination must be provided when offering employment, in the absence of approved accommodation.
Education and experience: Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate and one of the following:
- Associate of Arts degree in law enforcement, criminal justice or related field from an accredited college; or
- Completion of 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours from an accredited college or university; or
- Two (2) years of military experience
Licenses and other requirements:
- Ability to obtain state certification from the Washington State Law Enforcement Training Commission or other accredited certification body within fifteen (15) months of appointment.
- Must meet required physical and medical standards and all public service requirements.
- Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license upon hire; out-of-state hires must have a valid driver’s license and obtain a valid Washington State driver’s license within the time required by Washington.
- Be at least 21 years old at the time of eligibility list certification.
- United States citizenship or lawful permanent resident.
- Successfully complete the Redmond Police Department background investigation.
Selection process: Applicants who meet minimum qualifications, have completed public safety testing requirements, including applicant profile, personal background statement, and physical fitness tests, will be notified of their application status.
The City of Redmond Police Department will automatically disqualify anyone who at any time:
- Has been convicted of a felony (or has not pleaded to a felony charge) or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Washington State, or has been incarcerated for a felony.
- Sold narcotics or dangerous drugs.
- Any use of illegal drugs will be closely examined on a case-by-case basis.
- Had a pattern of prescription drug abuse.
- Was dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
- Has received more than two traffic violations in the previous 3 years; or reckless driving offense within the previous 5 years; or driving with a suspended license within the previous 5 years; or driving while intoxicated in the previous five years.
- Has been involved in more than one motor vehicle accident in the previous 3 years for which the applicant received a traffic or criminal citation and was convicted, forfeited bail, or pleaded “guilty” or ” nolo contendere”.
- Was previously employed as a law enforcement officer and has since committed or violated federal, state, or municipal laws relating to criminal activity.
- Has committed a serious violation of federal, state, municipal or county law.
- Lied at any stage of the hiring process.
- Falsified their personal history questionnaire or application, or failed to disclose relevant information.
- Was convicted of any crime under a domestic violence statue.
- Illegal sexual misconduct.
The following disqualifications may, upon review by the Redmond Police Department, render you ineligible to become a Redmond City Police Officer:
- Abuse and/or abuse of alcohol or substances.
- Excessive traffic violations.
- Commission of a crime.
- A manifest reluctance to honor tax contracts or simply debts.
- Any other conduct or pattern of conduct that would tend to disrupt, diminish or otherwise undermine public confidence in the law enforcement profession.
- An inability to perform the essential functions of a police officer.
- Our employees earn competitive salaries and enjoy an exceptional benefits package.
- The City pays all regular health care premiums for full-time employees.
- Learn more about our medical, retirement and other benefits like transportation subsidies, including a free bus pass, by visiting ++https://cityofredmond.benefithub.com/++.
For more information on salaries, see the ++2021 Entry Police Compensation Overview++ sheet as 2022 officer salaries are currently under negotiation.
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements may be invited to participate in the testing process which includes an oral interview, which requires a passing mark of 70%. This is a rolling recruitment and applications will be considered as openings arise. A City of Redmond Application, Veteran Preference Form, and Statement of College Education must be completed. Those claiming “veteran preference” must complete the appropriate form at the time of the oral interview and provide a copy of their DD214.
Polygraph examination, psychological examination, extensive on-site background investigation, drug screening and medical examination will also be required of selected candidates for employment. At any time during or after any part of the selection process there are questions, concerns, re-review information, re-testing or an appeal of a decision made, a written request is required from the applicant and will be forwarded to the Redmond Public Service Commission for their advice.
Applicants who fail any of the phases of the testing process are eligible to reapply for this position after six (6) months from the date of the exam. Candidates who fail any component of the background process are eligible to reapply for this position after eighteen (18) months from the date of removal from the eligibility list.