- In a single position:
- salaried position, approx. 20 to 30 hours per week at $20,000 to $30,000 per year (depending on experience).
- In two positions:
- Musical director and organist – part-time, approx. 15-20 hours per week; and
- Choir leader – part-time, approx. 10-15 hours per week.
St. James’s Episcopal Church in Wichita, Kansas is a beautiful, century-old parish that enjoys traditional liturgical services and is an open-minded congregation. We are fully inclusive. We use BCP, hymn and expansive language. We are open to a wide variety of sacred music. 2 of our 3 weekend performances include music. Both Sunday morning services include the organ and the second service includes the choir. The organist plays for both services on Sunday mornings (as well as for special services, funerals and weddings, if applicable). The choir sings in praise 3 times a month. The bell choir rings once a month. A youth choir, on hiatus since the pandemic, will contribute music to Sunday worship approx. once a month. Guest musicians are often part of our musical offerings.
Responsibilities of the Music Director and Organist:
- Play the organ and the piano.
- Prelude, offering and postlude.
- Choose hymns in consultation with the clergy.
- Play the organ on Sundays and special services.
- First right of refusal to play for weddings and funerals.
- Accompany choir rehearsals.
- Coordinate communication with the parish office (clergy, guest musicians and choir director, if necessary) for programming, bulletins, budget, etc.
- Responsibility for the ongoing maintenance of hand bells, pianos (3), organ (Holtkamp) and other equipment as required.
- Provide full bulletin and copyright information to the parish office for all services, including music.
Responsibilities of the Choir Director:
- Select choir hymns in coordination with the Music Director/Organist.
- Conduct rehearsals for the choir, youth choir and bell choir. The choir meets to rehearse once a week, and on Sunday morning. The children’s choir meets to rehearse once a week. The bell choir meets to rehearse once a week.
- Coordinate communication between choir members.
- Lead choirs at worship services.
- Maintain the parish music library.
Provide newsletter and copyright information to the music director and/or parish office for all choir pieces.