White Sox Baseball Operations Data Engineer
Location: Chicago, IL or Glendale, AZ
The Chicago White Sox are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join their Baseball Operations Group. The Data Engineer will be responsible for creating, maintaining and documenting data pipelines while ensuring the availability and accuracy of external and internal datasets. This position will report to the Director of Baseball Analytics.
- Collaborate with software development and analytics teams through research, design, and architecture efforts to build world-class decision support systems.
- Design, manage, and optimize on-premises and cloud database resources.
- Create and monitor ETL pipelines to ingest and cleanse external data sources while facilitating the development and availability of internal metrics.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field.
- Knowledge of SQL Server, MySQL or similar relational database with the ability to write and optimize complex queries and stored procedures.
- Technical proficiency in Python.
- Experience working with large datasets in relational and JSON format.
- Experience with AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Familiarity with advanced baseball metrics and research.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- High degree of integrity, professionalism, responsibility and discretion.
- Ability to work flexible hours and weekends.
- Experience in object-oriented development with Visual Studio and C#.
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, Docker and other containerization methodologies.
- Experience parallelizing cloud computing resources with Spark or similar.
- Familiarity with the machine learning lifecycle, including experience with MLFlow or similar.
Please review the requirements above and send a resume/cover letter to ApplyAnalytics@chisox.com. Due to the large number of applications, you may not receive a response.
Affiliate Player Development Intern
Pitches: Charlotte, NC — Birmingham, AL — Winston-Salem, NC — Kannapolis, NC — Glendale, AZ
The Chicago White Sox are looking for several seasonal interns affiliated with player development. This entry-level opportunity will provide individuals with a wide range of experience in professional baseball. These positions will primarily support the minor league coaching staff at affiliate sites throughout the minor league season. It will also be possible to work on various baseball operations projects depending on his skills.
- Associates will be paid on an hourly basis and will be entitled to overtime. Accommodation or stipulated accommodation will be provided.
- The role will take place in one of our 5 affiliate locations: Charlotte (AAA), Birmingham (AA), Winston-Salem (A+), Kannapolis (A) or Glendale (RK).
- All positions will begin during minor league spring training and end at the end of the minor league season with the option to extend into instructional league.
- Candidates must be fully available for the entire duration of the internship (March 1 — September 30).
- Hours for this position may vary from week to week; candidates must be available and willing to work full-time but irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly support players and coaching staff with all daily video and information needs
- Film and trace every game and all first work requests
- Compile advanced screening reports for use before each run
- Manage the setup and operation of all baseball technologies
- Travel with the team on all road trips
- Assist in the execution of player development plans
- Complete freelance projects as assigned by scouting/analysis/player development/front office staff
- Strong communication, organizational and eager to learn skills
- Strong knowledge of information technology, including proficiency in all Microsoft Office software
- Knowledge of baseball technologies such as Hawkeye, Motion Capture, TrackMan, Rapsodo, Blast Motion, Motus, etc. is strongly encouraged
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends or holidays
- Previous training/playing experience
- Advanced understanding of kick/throw biomechanics
- Conversational Spanish
- Video editing skills
- Past baseball/performance related research. Use of SQL/R/Python languages.
Please email PDJobs@chisox.com with the subject line “PD Affiliate Intern” and include your resume and references.
The content of this publication was created and provided solely by the Chicago White Sox.