You are currently viewing Gary aims to hire up to 300 young people for summer jobs – Chicago Tribune

Gary aims to hire up to 300 young people for summer jobs – Chicago Tribune

Funding for a youth summer jobs program and a leadership institute was approved on Tuesday after an amendment slashed the initial amount requested.

Mayor Jerome Prince will receive approximately $1 million in funding from the American Rescue Plan Act for the program which plans to employ up to 300 young Garys between the ages of 14 and 21 with part-time work with the city and its Commercial Partners. Participants will receive compensation of up to $15 per hour. The initial request was for approximately $1.5 million.

Mileak Harper, City Comptroller, said so far 240 young people have signed up for the program. As part of the application, approximately $928,000 is allocated for salaries, with $102,000 for expenses. The administration reduced the amount requested for participation incentives, such as gift cards and e-books for raffles, and cut marketing expenses to $5,000.

Funding for the program as approved will employ 300 young people. Originally, Prince was seeking approximately $1.5 million for the summer youth employment and leadership academy, a component designed to help participants gain the skills that will enable them to reach the adulthood and pave the way to success. Participants will work Monday through Thursday and participate in leadership academy programming on Friday.

Council Vice Chairman Tai Adkins, D-4e, said the deadline to apply for the positions has been extended to May 28. Adkins worked with Harper to reduce the cost of the program.

“Those who wish to participate in the program have an additional 10 days,” Adkins said.

Councilman Clorius Lay, D-At Large, said the program was open to all young people in the city, but it was to be a first-come, first-served situation. He said the city has more than 300 young people.

“We really can’t do it for everyone,” Lay said.

Councilman Mike Brown, D-At Large, said he was thrilled to vote for the program, which offers participants the opportunity to learn about work experience while putting income into the pockets of youth in the city. city.

Council chairman William Godwin, D-1er, said the council was not trying to delay approval of the program after the mayor sounded the alarm at the May 4 meeting that the fact withholding funding approval could jeopardize participation.

The administration first applied for funding for the program in April. The board referred the request to the committee three times before it was approved on Tuesday.

He said officials, including Adkins, were working with the city comptroller to “get it right.”

Carrie Napoleon is a freelance journalist for the Post-Tribune.

Leave a Reply