The Opportunity – Financial Assistant (50% part-time)
**Position Location:**National Office of the Occupied Palestinian Territory (oPt)
**Contract duration and level of effort:**2 years
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
This job holder will support and contribute to the proper functioning of the finance department at the OPT country office level, also to ensure compliance with Save the Children policies and procedures.
The incumbent will be primarily responsible for reviewing and processing CO related payments, entering transactions into the computerized accounting system, updating bank account follow-ups, scanning and filing documents supporting documents and other financial documents, audit support, and support with month-end and year-end closing.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the job holder will be required to work outside of the normal role profile and be able to modify working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Financial Planning and Control Manager
Staff reporting to this position: N/A
Role dimensions: oPt CO is a very complex country, with multi-member interests, an annual budget of $10-15 million, and around 70 staff members.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Key Area 1: Overall work related to country office finances:
- Review and record country office payments such as consultant payments, audit payments, vehicle usage and fuel, petty cash and office supplies, etc.
- Write checks or prepare bank transfer letters.
- Have checks and wire transfer letters signed.
- Responsible for stamping payment vouchers with “Paid” and other stamps required by donors.
- Review and record staff payments: travel advances and travel expense claims.
- Delivery of checks to suppliers/vendors, consultants and sub-contractors in the office.
- Enter journal vouchers in Agresso (SCI Accounting System).
- File all payment vouchers, journal vouchers and vouchers and other financial documents.
- Record payment vouchers and cash received in the bank tracking sheet.
- Responsible for processing transfer letters to banks and obtaining bank account statements on a monthly basis.
- Assist in managing cash flow to ensure timely and secure transfer of funds from CO accounts to FO accounts to meet program needs.
- Assist the Budgeting and Reporting Manager to prepare the weekly remittance report on the ProSave system and have reports approved as required.
- Assist the Budget and Reporting Manager with other duties as required and in coordination with the Financial Planning and Control Manager.
- Assist with coding project deployment and other projects as needed.
Key area 2: Work related to the end of the month:
- Prepare and record internal fund transfers.
- Confirm by e-mail the money received from the SCI center.
- Enter salary payments and necessary adjustments to Agresso (CAM adjustments, payroll and all related vouchers such as salaries, pension, severance, insurance, vacation accrual, duties and tax on income for staff and consultants, etc.)
- Upload all necessary monthly reports and documents for the regional office to the shared folder.
- Assist with month-end bank reconciliation.
Key area 3: Work related to the end of the year:
- Help ensure a smooth and proper closing of the CO books by the end of the year.
- Assist in physical count of assets.
- Assist in preparing all documents and reports for the year-end close process.
- Assist in reviewing financial records to ensure they are ready for audits.
- Participate in the performance of annual audit work and assign specific audits to the office and with partners.
Ready to work to respond to any natural disaster or emergency anywhere in the OPT.
To pass, you will need to bring/have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or equivalent field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Up to two years of professional experience in the accounting/finance department of a national or international organization. Experience working in NGOs/INGOs is a plus.
- Good analytical skills – the ability to analyze complex financial data.
- Written and verbal fluency in English and Arabic.
- Understanding of financial systems and procedures.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems.
- Experience with computerized accounting packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload and work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to contribute to a small proactive team, motivate staff and work collaboratively with colleagues and provide support and guidance as needed.
- A full appreciation of the value of cooperation, both internationally and within a team environment.
We offer a competitive package within the context of the sector. This role is offered on the basis of national conditions only.
Save the Children promotes a diverse and inclusive working environment, women and people with different abilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Save the Children works in development and humanitarian contexts with children and partners to help families, communities and governments identify and use innovations to ensure that all children survive, learn and are protected.
We employ around 25,000 people around the world and work on the ground in more than 100 countries to help children affected by crises or those in need of better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest level to realize children’s rights and ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in the way the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies of preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our employees and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, as well as a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity and integrity are highly valued.
How to register
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter to your application, and include details of your current compensation and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at Job Description – Finance Assistant – Part Time (LoE 50%) (2200096F) (taleo.net)
We must keep children safe so that our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to protecting children from abuse.
All employees must perform their duties in accordance with our Global Anti-Harassment Policy.