Job title: 3 cybersecurity lecturer positions – Full-time, permanent
Position reference: 0000016182
Publication date: 08/19/2022
Application deadline: 09/18/2022
Salary: £42,155 – £51,805 per year (6th year)
Package: Excellent benefits package
Contract hours: 35
Basis: full time
Three cybersecurity lecturer positions (cryptography/blockchain, cloud security, and cybersecurity and IoT) – full-time, permanent
The Cybersecurity and Systems Engineering (CSE) subject group and the Center for Cybersecurity, IoT and Cyberphysical Systems have three lecturer positions:
- Cryptography and Blockchain. This article focuses on the application of cryptography and blockchain in the areas of privacy, trust, and security. Strong research experience in the Ethereum and/or IBM Hyperledger domains is an essential aspect of this position, as well as a strong foundation in cryptography-related teaching and research.
- Cloud Security. This position aims to expand our AWS Academy and will focus on providing CPD (continuous personal development), as well as advanced research areas related to cloud security. Experience related to AWS is an essential part of this position.
- Cybersecurity and IoT. This position focuses on key areas around cybersecurity and IoT security, including in the areas of intrusion detection systems, network security, and IoT device security.
The University of Edinburgh Napier is the “1 Modern University in Scotland”. An innovative, learner-centred university with a fresh, modern outlook, Edinburgh Napier is ambitious, inclusive in its philosophy and applied in its approach.
The School of Computing, Engineering & the Built Environment has over 200 academics, 3,100 students on campus and offers programs with professional accreditations from the British Computer Society, Institution of Engineering and Technology, Chartered Institute of Building and other accreditation bodies. We have excellent computer, engineering and construction laboratory facilities. The school is embarking on a major development in the field of Industry 4.0, bringing together computer science, engineering, mathematics and construction technologies. The school has one of the largest IT departments in the UK and is home to leading UK research centers in transport policy and sustainable construction. The school is based in the vibrant and exciting district of Merchiston in the heart of Edinburgh, the inspiring capital of Scotland.
The latest national research assessment in the UK, REF 2021, places our computer science research in the top 30 across the UK and 3rd in Scotland (both in the power rankings). In terms of research impact, 100% of our work achieved the highest rating (4*), a performance achieved only by six other universities in the whole of the UK. According to REF 2021, Edinburgh Napier University is Scotland’s best modern university for research power and impact.
Improving the research power of the University will now see our research funding increase as we make significant strides in increasing our reputation as a research-focused institution as well as a teaching one. We are confident that we are well on our way to establishing ourselves as one of the UK’s top research universities.
This is an excellent opportunity for an academic with expertise in cybersecurity or related fields to join the research group of the Center for Cybersecurity, IoT and Cyberphysical Systems, where you can contribute to the work of the experienced team exploring crypto/blockchain technology, cyber identity and trust. Management, applied cybersecurity, cloud and IoT security, digital forensics and machine learning for cybersecurity.
Lecturers will contribute and build programs and modules to support the expansion of our teaching portfolio which explores the changing nature of IT infrastructure, cybersecurity, big data, sensor systems, smart cities and transportation, and the impact of cybertechnology on business. You will actively contribute to our existing portfolio of computer science degree programs.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate enthusiasm for working interdisciplinary in basic and applied research and in developing research-based teaching to enhance the employability of our graduates. You will have the opportunity to broaden your industry connections through our existing networks and by visiting students through year-long industry placements and our college-based graduate apprenticeship program. employer.
Further information on Edinburgh Napier University can be found here.
As a speaker, you will be a member of our cybersecurity research group with:
- Access to our staff development budget for travel to conferences and to establish collaborations.
- Extensive research training and development through our Office of Research, Innovation and Enterprise (RIE).
- You will also be studying towards a Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning leading to an Academy of Higher Education scholarship.
- Support for scholarship applications from school and university colleagues.
- Join or lead a doctoral student supervision team.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- A doctorate level degree in the relevant discipline.
- Evidence of an academic and research professional profile alongside a commitment to continuous and sustained professional/academic development.
- Evidence of a developing research record appropriate to the career stage in the research field (high quality results, possibility of obtaining external research funding, involvement in scientific and professional societies, organization of conferences and workshops, review of papers for conferences and scientific journals).
- Evidence of teaching experience appropriate to the career stage.
- A level of achievement appropriate to the position for which application is sought, including international/national status and academic leadership.
Candidates will also preferably demonstrate:
- Experience in developing excellent international results in the interface areas of computer science, engineering, construction and mathematics that are relevant to Industry 4.0 research.
If you would like to find out more about this exciting opportunity, please click here to view the role profile.
Benefits we offer
Salary: £42,155 – £51,805 per year (6th year)
Join us and you’ll find we offer support and recognition where it’s due, plus fantastic benefits such as an attractive pension with employer contributions of up to 23% and a minimum of 46 days vacation. .
There are professional development opportunities, discounted access to on-site sports facilities and a wide range of other staff discounts. For more information on our wide range of benefits, click here.
Informal inquiries about the role can be directed to Professor Peter Andras (email@example.com) or Professor Bill Buchanan (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications for the position should be submitted via the Edinburgh Napier University Employment Application website – emailed applications will not be accepted.
Application deadline: Sunday, September 18
Date of the interview: Tuesday, October 4
Edinburgh Napier is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels proud, confident, challenged and supported and holds Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Diversity Champion status. Please refer here for more information.