LEWISTOWN — Mifflin County Commissioners proclaimed Ada Kuhn Day Thursday in honor of one of Mifflin County’s oldest veterans on her birthday.
Kuhn served in World War II in Berlin at the same American headquarters as General Dwight Eisenhower. Kuhn honored the commissioners with stories of her experiences during her service in World War II and testified to her experiences as a woman in the armed forces.
Kuhn traveled to France after D-Day to visit the memorial to her brother, who lost his life during the invasion of Normandy, known as Operation Neptune and later and more commonly as D-day.
Kuhn thanked the Commissioners for their support of Operation Green Light, which the Commissioners
has proclaimed its support for previously.
Commissioners also celebrated the accomplishments of local Eagle Scout Ross Fogelman for his accomplishments as a Scout and for the work he has done in the local community.
In other cases, Commissioners:
• Approval of a short-term rental agreement with the Lewistown Armory for Election Day (November 8) at no charge.
• Approved the Mifflin County Reintegration Coordination Subrecipient contract with Curtis Wert for the period of October 1, 2022 through September 30, 2023, for an amount not to exceed $3,125.
• Approval of a memorandum of understanding with Juniata Valley Tri-County Drug and Alcohol for opioid settlement funds.
• Approval of Resolution No. 32 of 2022 consolidating the Mifflin County Revolving Loan Fund Programs.
• Approval of an agreement with the Pennsylvania Department of State for HAVA grant funds in the amount of $3,304.82.
• Approved an Intermediate Punishment Program Agreement with Tri County Drug and Alcohol for team meetings and case management for the period July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023 in the amount of $9,000.
• Approval of service purchase agreements for use, as needed, by children and youth, with these organizations: Concern Professional Services, Fleetwood; Christian Family Services Management Group (Bair), York; Bethanna, Hampton, Pennsylvania; Living Well Institute Inc. Hershey; Diakon Child, Family and Community Ministries, Topton; Justin Miller, Esq., Bellefonte; and Pentz Run Youth Services, Dubois.
• Granted authority to enter into negotiations and seek a professional services agreement from Martson Law Firms for the county on behalf of the Township of Granville for attorney services for
Community development block grant projects.
• Approved the engagement of Christian T. Aumiller’s appraisal services for the Green Avenue building.
• Accepted the resignation of Cassandra Trego, part-time Correctional Officer, effective October 7th.
• Acceptance of the resignation of part-time 911 operator Brian Mowry, effective October 7th.
• Hiring of Blaine Baker, LPN, effective October 10th.
• Promotion of Caryn Baumgardner from part-time to full-time Deputy Sheriff effective October 24th.
• Accepted the resignation of full-time Correctional Officer Abagaele Snook effective October 27th.