Overall, business degrees are expected to be among the best positions available to students entering the workforce over the next eight years. More than 900,000 management positions will be created between 2020 and 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
At Azusa Pacific University, you can choose from several higher-level administrative degree options: including the online Master of Business Administration (MBA) program and the new Master of Science (MS) in Healthcare Administration .
Which program best matches your skills, interests and career goals? Here is a help to decide.
What Can You Do With A Health Administration Degree?
Healthcare administration is booming, and having a master’s degree in healthcare administration can set you apart in a growing industry. According to the BLS, jobs in medical and health services management are expected to grow 32% from 2020 to 2030, which is much faster than the 8% average for all occupations. This is an addition of 139,600 jobs.
Some entry-level positions can be obtained with only a bachelor’s degree. But a master’s degree could increase your chances of landing a better paying job right out of school. It could also increase your chances of landing a more competitive position, such as a hospital administrator or medical staff manager, earlier in your career.
At APU, you can choose from one of three areas of specialization:
- Financial Management in Health Systems
- International Health
- Quality and innovation in health care
No prior healthcare experience is necessary to join the program. You’ll take courses at both APU’s nationally ranked school of nursing and the School of Business and Management, and you can tailor your coursework to the area that interests you most.
What can you do with an MBA?
Considered the gold standard for higher education in management, an MBA is another great way to invest in your future. Students who complete MBA programs typically graduate with an enhanced set of thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Additionally, the connections you make during the program could help you land your first job and improve your professional network as your career develops.
Obtaining an MBA can allow you to work in several positions and job titles, including:
- Marketing Manager
- Business Operations Manager
- Investment fund manager
- Leadership Development Director
- business consultant
- Director of Product Management
- Chief Technology Officer
- Various leadership roles in the ministry or nonprofit sector
APU’s new online MBA offers flexible and personalized learning for students seeking advanced knowledge and business skills. With a list of courses designed for graduation in just 12 months, the program offers you the option of including a variety of “micro-certificates” – internationally recognized badges or certificates – that match your career goals and interests. MBA micro-credentials offered at APU include Formstack, Tableau, Python, Excel, Intercultural Competence, and more.
Is a degree in healthcare administration or an MBA right for you?
Both business degrees offer unique benefits. Depending on your area of interest or even your ideal daily schedule, one program may suit you better than another.
A Masters in Healthcare Administration may be right for you if:
- You know you absolutely want to work in the medical field.
- You do not have experience in the field of health but wish to acquire it.
- Looking for a marketable degree in a growing industry.
- You prefer an interdisciplinary degree encompassing several areas of study.
On the other hand, an MBA may be a better fit for you if:
- You are looking for some flexibility in terms of industries and fields you could work in after graduation.
- You are passionate about business but not yet sure where you want to apply your skills (or are open to different possibilities).
- You need more flexibility for your current availability and living situation.
- You like the idea of shorter durations (APU’s MBA program durations are eight weeks each) and graduating in just 12 months.
- You aspire to start or run your own business one day.
Whichever path you choose, APU will be with you every step of the way, including helping you make that decision. Explore APU’s Graduate and Professional Admissions page to learn more about all available graduate programs.
Posted: July 29, 2022