Apply for this position
Alarmist brewing is a small independent craft brewery on the northwest side of Chicago. Here’s the deal: we won the very first GABF Gold Medal for Juicy/Hazy IPA in 2018 with Le Jus. Things have since gone off the rails and we need help getting more Le Jus and a whole host of other beers into the hands and mouths of our customers! We also LOVE our lagers with our Crispy Boy German style pilsner being one of our staple beers.
We need a brewer/cellar man who wants to be exposed to EVERY part of the craft brewing experience. We are only interested in highly experienced candidates, This is not an entry level position. Here is some of what you will do:
- Wort production on a 2-tank 20-barrel system.
- Cellar management of all our 60, 40 and 20 bbl vessels.
- Exceptional focus on cleaning and sanitizing the interior and exterior of vessels.
- Yeast management and yeast quality control management.
- Contribute and improve all safety and environmental protocols at all times.
- Brewery forecasting, planning, recipe formulation and cost analysis.
- Ingredient ordering and tracking, including skip forecasting for contracts.
- Loading and unloading of supplies and finished beer both manually and with material handling equipment (forklift, pallet truck)
- Safely and efficiently lift/move 55 lb bags of grain, full drums, equipment, etc. Fun fact: We have a brand new grain bin/mill/chain disc grain handling system.
- Occasionally attend and/or help out with events such as festivals, brewery tours, retail tastings, etc.
- Solve problems and improve existing solutions and processes with a focus on details, details, details. It is crucial.
- Contribute to all aspects of the business including marketing ideas, business strategies, merchandising ideas, etc. No cataloging at Alarmist Brewing, you’re part of a team.
- The timing is determined by the yeast. Flexibility with weekends and evenings required (but SHOULD be quite rare). We aim for 40-hour work weeks, with plenty of flexibility when it comes to free time.
We love technology here: macOS, iOS, Slack, Ekos (very important!), Google Workspace, spreadsheets, etc. You will want to find your way around or be able to learn quickly.
You must be smart, self-starter, quick-thinking, hilarious, and not afraid to ask questions or provide answers. Alarmist Brewing is a fun place to work, but we take our beer very seriously.
We are literally setting up health and dental and 401K insurance for everyone on the team. This will be provided in writing.
Apply for this position