Hey, neighbors. I’m back in your inbox this morning with your new edition of the Sandy Springs Daily. Here’s what you need to know about what’s happening these days in town.
But first, today’s weather:
Softer with less rain. High: 61 Low: 58.
🚪 Dear local businesses: Patch invites you to partner with us to create local notoriety and stand out from the competition. Showcase your business and bring more customers to your doorstep with a sponsorship in our Sandy Springs newsletter. Click here to find out more.
Here are today’s top three stories in Sandy Springs:
- A The City of Fulton County is proposing a new strategic plan regarding false alarm calls to homes and businesses with alarms. Roswell Police Chief James Conroy and Roswell Fore Chief Joe Pennino have proposed late payment fee increases for people with false alarms instead of a general permit of $25 for each residence and business with an alarm system. The Roswell City Council heard the proposal at the Nov. 29 public safety meeting and will consider it at its Dec. 12 council meeting. (Subscription: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights investigates Georgia elementary school after parent claims segregation was set in 2021. Atlanta Public Schools Mary Lin Elementary School apparently had a “black class” according to a parent who said principal Sharyn Briscoe used the phrase. Briscoe, who is also black, reportedly told the black student’s mother that her child would have no one in the class who looked like her if she stayed in the class she had chosen. (wgxa.tv)
- A A 10-year-old girl and her 33-year-old father were killed in a car accident in Fulton County Saturday morning. The crash happened at the intersection of Campbellton Road and County Line Road in Atlanta around 3 a.m. A third victim was in critical condition Monday afternoon. (WSB Atlanta)
From our sponsor:
Today’s Sandy Springs Patch newsletter is presented in part by The Daily Upsidethe premium source of business news that is definitely worth reading.
Want to know why there are more millionaires than ever despite the economic downtown? Or why is Turkey lowering interest rates despite 80% inflation?
The daily advantage goes a deeper level to instantly increase your trading IQ and improve your investment know-how. Subscribe today at no cost.
Today in Sandy Springs:
- Coffee and Contacts Work for Life (8:30 a.m.)
- Taco Tuesday / Kids Eat Free! At the North River Tavern (11:00 a.m.)
- City council meeting At the town hall (6:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Have you visited the glittering village Again? Learn more about who is behind the decorated houses here (Sandy Springs, GA: City News via Facebook)
- The The Sandy Springs Police Department is holding a toy drive through Dec. 13. New, unboxed toys — for all ages — can be brought to police headquarters to benefit Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. (Sandy Springs Police via Facebook)
- Full-time and part-time employment opportunities are available in the Sandy Springs area. Available positions include Utilities Associate I, Broadcast Operations Associate, Seasonal Greeting Card Merchandiser, Strategic Account Manager, CDLS Company Driver A, and more. Click on the link for details of companies hiring in the area. (Patch)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Minority Men’s Health Program (December 8)
- Winter VibeZ: for all Feelz (December 8)
- Breast ultrasound screening comes directly to you! (December 9)
- Halcyon Hosts Fourth Annual Ugly Christmas Bar Crawl With The Grinch (December 15)
- Breast ultrasound screening comes directly to you! (December 17)
- Jazz at the Ballroom Presents “HOLIDAY IN” (December 17)
- Atlanta New Year’s Eve Dinner and Dance @ Hilton Atlanta Northeast December 31, 2022 (December 31)
- Add your event
All right, all is well for today. See you tomorrow morning for another update!
— Nicole Fallon Peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a journalist and editor with a degree in media, culture and communication from New York University. She has been a freelance journalist, editor, managing editor and editorial director for various B2B news outlets. She currently co-owns and manages content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.